Sivun näyttöjä yhteensä

sunnuntai 22. syyskuuta 2013

Moniväri raitasaippua - Multicolored gradient soap

Tässä on tämän saippuan inspiraatio, mutta taivaan värit ovat saippuaan verrattuna käänteisessä järjestyksessä/ This is an inspiration for my soap, but the colors of the sky are in a reverse order compared to the soap.

Saippuakateus iskee kun katselee kaikkia monivärisiä raitasaippuoita jotka ihmiset ovat tehnnet saippuahaasteeseen. Kai se kateus häviää kun tekee oman saippuan. Olisin kyllä ehdottomasti tarvinut Amy Wardenin ohjeita, koska jaoin saippuan vähän väärin ja punaista saippuaa oli suhteessa liian vähän. Tekniikka on helppo, mutta minulla meni melkein tunti kun jouduin kaatamaan saippuan niin varovasti kerros kerrokselta. 
Soap jealousy strikes when I´m watching all those multicolored gradient soaps people have made for the soap challenge. I guess that jealousy goes away when you make your own soap. I would have definitely needed Amy Wardens directions, because I divided the soap batter in the wrong way and I had not enough red soap. The technique itself was fairly easy, but it took me almost an hour to pour the soap carefully layer by layer.

Ajattelin ensin tehdä saippuan samanlla tyylillä kuin Barbora, eli että vaalea sävy olisi keskellä. Päädyin kuitenkin laittamaan vaaleimman sävyn päälimmäiseksi, koska tällä samalla ohjeella saa aikamoisen kerroksen härmää. Ohje ei voisi olla yksinkertaisempi: puolet oliviöljyä ja puolet naudanrasvaa. Tällä ohjeella saa paljon aikaa leikkiä väreillä. Joskus melkein vähän liiankin paljon aikaa. Tähän saippuaan halusin raikkaan tuoksun, eli sekoitin Lumi tuoksuöljyä ja Paratiisi tuoksuöljyä.
First I thought that I would make a soap with a similar pattern as Barbora, so the light color would be in the middle. I still decided to put the lightest color on top, because I knew that I would get some soda ash on top of the soap. The recipe could not be easier: half olive oil, half beef tallow. With this recipe you got plenty of time to play with colors. Sometimes almost too much time. I wanted a fresh scent for the soap so I mixed Snow and Paradise fragrance oils.

Värisävyt menivät seuraavassa järjestyksessä:

keltainen = keltainen rautaoksiidi
vaalea oranssi = keltainen + punainen rautaoksiidi
oranssi = punainen + keltainen rautaoksiidi
punainen = punainen rautaoksiidi
vaalea punaliila = punainen rautaoksiidi + nestemäinen liila väri
punaliila = nestemäinen liila väri + punainen rautaoksiidi
liila = nestemäinen liila väri

I wanted the colors to be in this order:

yellow = yellow iron oxide
pale orange = yellow + red iron oxide
orange =  red + yellow iron oxide
red = red iron oxide
pale red-purple = red iron oxide + liquid purple color
red-purple = liquid purple color + red iron oxide
purple = liquid purple color   


Saippuaan tulikin todella reilusti härmää. Ainoastaan pieni ympyrä keskellä joka geeliintyi jäi ilman sitä. Härmä ei tee saippuasta huonompaa, mutta jos sitä on näin paljon niin kyllähän se rumentaa saippuaa. Harmi, koska tämä on yksi minun lemppariohjeista. Kokeilin SoapJamin ohjetta poistaa härmää. En löytänyt sopivaa muovista laatikkoa, joten tein saippuoille höyrysanunan muovisesta kakkukuvusta. Sain härmän pois muista saippuoista joissa oli vain kevyt kerros härmää, mutta näistä raitasaippuoista se ei vaan lähtenyt vaikka höyryytin niitä neljästi :( Saippuakin oli liian kovaa että sitä voisi siistiä leikkaamalla. Onnistuin pilaamaan yhden päätypalan kun kokeilin voisiko härmän leikata pois. No, mutta tekniikka on nyt tuttua, joten voin hyvillä mielin kokeilla sitä jollain muulla ohjeella.
My soap did get a lot soda ash. Only a small circle in the middle that did gel did not get any ash. Soda ash does not make the soap worse, but when you get this much it make a very ugly bar of soap. It´s a shame, because this is one of my favorite recipes. I tried SoapJam´s advice on how to remove the ash. It removed soda ash from some other soaps with a light coat of ash, but not from these gradient soaps even if I steamed them 4 times :( The soap was also already too hard to try to cut the ash off and I ruined one end bar. Well, now the technique is familiar so I can try it with a different recipe.

Ennen härmänpoistooperaatiota (pienet punaiset raidat ovat rautaoksiidia)/Before trying to remove the soda ash (the red small lines are iron oxide).

Höyrytyksen jälkeen. Eli ei se kauheasti auttanut./After the steaming. So it did not help that much.

22 kommenttia:

  1. Hauskannäköisiä ovat! Nätit värit olet myös saanut aikaiseksi. Olen muuten monesti ihmetellyt, mitä on se "rubbing alcohol", jota nuo englanninkieliset käyttävät saippuatuhkan poistoon. Tiedätkö, mitä se on ja saako sitä täältä?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Kiitos :) Hauskemman näköisiä ovat kun härmä kuluu pois kun on käyttänyt saippuaa tarpeeksi monta kertaa ;) Rubbing alcohol on muistaakseni 91% alkoholiliuosta. En ole edes etsinyt sitä kun koen sen "turhaksi". Eli en jaksa vahtia saippuaa ja suihkuttaa sitä 30 min välein.

      Poista
  2. I was also admiring all the beautiful multi-gradient soaps for this month's Soap Challenge Club. Good for you for tackling the technique yourself! :-) i love your color scheme. It looks fun to do!

    Just wondering, is it because of the partial gel that you also got soda ash inside the soap, or is it because of the fragrance? I just found out too that steaming does not always remove the soda ash 100%. If the ash is very heavy, the ash on the sides and corners of the soap tend to stay, while the ash in the middle goes away. I wonder though if the soap is steamed early on, will it prevent heavy ash from forming? I have yet to experiment with this, although many times I just leave the ash as is.

    P.S. thank you for the shout out. :-)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I don´t think it is the fragrance because I have used them several times without the ash and I have made a soap once before with only tallow and olive oil and I also got heavy soda ash that time. So it must be the combo of oil and tallow. It can also be the partial gel. I don´t mind getting soda ash on the top of the soap, but when it coats almost the whole bar the it is too much :D

      Poista
  3. It's awkward that there's ash on the sides. However, I find steaming very helpful and if didn't work for you, you could dip the soap into the hot water and see what happens. This method also helps removing ash. I still haven't had soap with ash unremovable!
    I really like your colours and the ash gives a special look, you could state it was done in purpose,hihi!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. It would be a very helpful talent if you could create patterns wit soda ash :D
      I have to try to dip the soap in hot water. Thanks for the advise.

      Poista
    2. No luck with the hot water either...

      Poista
  4. It's too bad about the ashiness because the middle of the soap is very pretty! It looks like a partial gel, the way the colors are brighter in the middle and less so on the edges. When I've had soda ash, I've had it only on the tops. Very interesting. It is still a great effort on the gradient layers!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks Jenny. I wonder if there had been less ash if I had gotten a full gel.

      Poista
  5. Such a beautiful gradient soap Marika! That is so interesting that it ashed in that pattern on the front, it almost looks like a portrait the way it frames it perfectly. You got some beautiful colors in that soap, that's for sure!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks. Next time I should try to gel the whole soap and see if there is less soda ash. I like the colors, but the soap was so thin that it was difficult to get even layers.

      Poista
  6. Minullekin tulee tuosta härmän ja muun saippuan yhteispelistä mieleen, että joku katselee ulapalle kaukoputken läpi :) Ymmärrän siis kyllä harmistuksesi ylenmääräisen härmän kanssa, mutta efektinä kyllä älyttömän kiva toisaalta (eikä sitä tietenkään saisi aikaiseksi jos kävisi kokeilemalla kokeilemaan).

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Tuo kaukoputkiajatus ei edes tullut mieleen. Ihan kiva, kiitos :) Eniten harmittaa se että kun kerrankin laittaa saippuaan monta eri väriä niin härmä peittää kaikki värit. Mutta sitkys palkitaan, eli pitää kokeilla uuden saippuan tekoa.

      Poista
  7. You know , Marika, before I read the part of the gelling, I thought you made this soap on purpose like this.. I was already thinking 'how did Marika get that cicle in the midden?';
    I still think your soap is beautiful, it look like a sun, and you managed to make exact layers!
    Gorgeous colors!

    VastaaPoista
  8. Thanks Nat :) I also like the soap, but I would like it even more if it would have less soda ash.

    VastaaPoista
  9. There is very remarkable sunset into the sea. It is the view from a window of ancient castle.
    http://s58.radikal.ru/i162/1309/bd/df5a8e0930f8.jpg

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks Oksana! I can see the resemblance of the pic and my soap :)

      Poista
  10. Grate colors gradient, the soap still reminds on sunset!

    VastaaPoista
  11. This soap is great! Before I have read, that there was something wrong with it, I was thinking over, how have you got this frame... Probably, first pouring one side, then the other one, and then in the middle...
    The layers are perfect!
    And the colours are beutiful!
    Really good!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks :) I think it would be very difficult to get that pattern if you wanted to. Sometimes "accidents" are the best.

      Poista